Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Means to An End

You have all heard the saying, "This is just a means to an end."

For example, all of the classes that I attend are just a means to an end. I am only attending so that I can learn the information that I need to become a music teacher. The classes are the means to an end, not the end in and of itself. However, I will still try to do my very best in these classes because they are what will lead me to my degree in the best, most efficient way.

How does this apply to Christianity?

Well, most people view salvation as the means to an end, and Heaven as the end. While salvation is the only way to go to Heaven, it is important that we do not focus so much on our rewards, but rather on our Savior.

Jesus is the reward. He is what we should seek rather than a treasure of silver and gold. He is the treasure.
Jesus is not a means to an end. He is the end point that we should all be striving for. When you love someone, you don't just want their gifts. You want them. One of our chapel speakers spoke on this very topic a few days ago, and it was also reiterated in a study that I'm doing with our college Sunday school class at church.
We are going through the book Crazy Love and I am finding that I don't know much about loving Christ at all. But, I am striving for Him and I am so excited about what He is going to show me through the rest of this study.

The challenge is to think about what you love most about God. Do all of the things that come to mind have to do with what He does for you, or do they have to do with His character?

I am learning that just to be known by the Creator of the universe is far better than any other gift that I could ever receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment