Thursday, October 21, 2010

Keep Your Chin Up

Yesterday I saw something quite perplexing. A student was walking through the parking lot with his head down. I do not mean that he was glancing down to see where he was going. He was literally staring down at the ground. Now, in all fairness, he was probably just really focused, or in deep thought about something. He was probably just in a hurry. That's not what it looked like though. It looked as though he were embarrassed, possibly even ashamed.

Well, of course a simile automatically popped in my head and a lightbulb went off. We, as Christians, tend to be "that guy" a lot. We are keeping our heads down just trying to get from one place to another without being particularly noticed. We don't flat out deny that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior, we just conveniently forget to talk about Him. We may have every intention of ministering, witnessing, and making a difference, but that's not what it looks like. When we conveniently forget to take a stand for our Lord, we can come across as embarassed, possibly even ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

So, don't get so caught up in your goals that you forget why you were created. Don't metaphorically keep your head down, just trying to get by and be good enough. I don't want to miss an opportunity to serve, and if I continue to keep my head down I am going to get to Heaven with a seriously lame amount of crowns to lay at my King's feet. And that's just not okay with me.

So, for the sake of our glorious Savior, please keep your chin up.

No comments:

Post a Comment