Saturday, October 16, 2010

For Better or Worse

Last night I watched a show on TLC called Four Weddings. The point of the show is to compare four different weddings from the viewpoint of the brides. They go to each other's weddings and then score each other based on several different categories. The best wedding wins a dream honeymoon. It's actually a pretty good show. 


While I was watching the ceremonies I was struck by a specific saying that occurred in the vows. We have all heard a bride and groom vow to love each other for better or worse, indicating that through the good times and the bad they will be there for each other. 
All four of these women pledged that no matter what happened they would stand by their man and their love for him would not change. 


This got me thinking about the love of my life, also known as Jesus. This could sound corny to some, but it's true so that is how I am going to refer to Him. Could I make that same wedding vow to my Savior? Could I look Him in the eyes and say that for better or worse I will love Him just the same? How about you? Could you tell Jesus that even when you don't understand His plan or His purpose, your commitment would not be shaken?


Most of the time I have no clue what God is up to in my life. There are questions marks in my life right now, and sometimes God answers my prayers in a way that I do not particularly like. So, how is my love for Christ displayed in times like that? Do I let Him lead the way and understand that He is all-knowing, or do I question His sovereignty?


How I respond to God in these times of difficulty truly displays my level of commitment and love to Him. It helps to reveal to the world whether I truly love my Lord or whether He is just a habit in my life. 


So the next time that you go to a wedding, try to imagine that you are the bride and Jesus is your groom. Would the vows be true in your life, or would they just be meaningless words to a Savior that you don't even really love?

No comments:

Post a Comment