Thursday, September 2, 2010

Taking a Walk with my Savior

"Wherever He leads I'll go. Wherever He leads I'll go. I'll follow my Christ who loves me so. Wherever He leads I'll go."

These very familiar words are part of a beautiful hymn that we sing in my church all of the time. The trouble is that these words are a little, rather a lot, more difficult than they sound. Everytime I go to sing the chorus, I get a little nervous, because I am not totally sure that I would have the strength to follow Christ wherever He leads me. 

However, just because I don't know if I would follow Him wherever He led me, it doesn't mean that I am not trying to follow Him. Choosing to follow Christ is a day by day, hour by hour decision. My life verse further explains this concept.

 "I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count my self an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward-- to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'M NOT TURNING BACK."

Phillipians 3:12-14 The Message Bible

I cannot even pretend that I have my faith all together, and I certainly cannot claim to know where God is leading me. But, I think that's the point. If I knew where God was leading me, I wouldn't feel the need to trust Him. I recently was talking with my mom about this topic and an extremely relevent metaphor came to mind, so I think I will share it with you all.

In the spring of my senior year, I went to Disney World with my high school marching band. We went to the Fantasmic show on a Sunday night, and it just so happened that nearly two thousand people saw this show at the same time as us. Now, if you know me at all you should know that I don't exactly stand out in a crowd, at least physically speaking. I am five foot one inch tall, and even that is stretching it a little bit. Well, at some point while we were making our way out of the arena after the show, one of my band directors, Mr. Mumford, and I got separated from the rest of our group. Keep in mind that we were in a crowd of two thousand people who were trying to get out of the same exit gate. Chaos ensued. Praise the Lord, Mr. Mumford is over six feet tall and could see where we were heading. At one point,I was standing in front of him in the massive crowd of people, and I turned around to him and said, "I have absolutely no clue where I'm going. I can't see above the people's heads." He then placed his hands on my shoulders and said, "Just start walking, and I will point you in the direction that we need to go."

I was lost and confused. I was nervous and a little chlostrophobic. You see, there was no way that I could realize the big picture. But Mr. Mumford could see where we were going. All he needed me to do was to start walking, so that he could point me in the direction that we needed to go.

Do you see where I am going with this?
God does not need me to see the picture yet. He just needs me to start walking. He needs me to stop being a bench warmer and actually get in the game. I am called to serve. While I am sitting here panicking about not seeing the big picture, I am missing out on all of the little opportunities to just be led by my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. God is the only one who can see the big picture of this universe, and that is exactly the way that it is supposed to be. So, right now even though I have absolutely no clue where I am going, I am just going to start walking.

I am quite confident that taking this walk with my Savior will end up being the adventure of an eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment